R. AUGUSTINE, D. CICARELLA, P. DELUCIA, M. PANTALEO, V. SULLO, J. CHISOLM, T. CRISCUOLO, A. DUSA, I FESTA, J. GONZALEZ, O. HERNANDEZ, D. LOW, M. MALONEY, M. MAZZACANE, E. MCDANIEL-EPPS, D. ORTIZ, T. PAIGE-HARRIS, R. POMPANO, J. ROTH, M. SOARES, J. STEELE, K. STEELE-DISTANTE, R. THOMAS, J. WELLS-JACKSON, K. WETMORE
- Call to order
- David Cicarella called to order the regular meeting of the Executive Board at 3:45 pm
- Motion to accept minutes from November 5th, 2019
- 3 abstentions Iris Festa, Toni Criscuolo, Kara Steele Distante; due to being absent from November meeting
- Meeting minutes accepted
111. Upcoming Re-Run Election – report from elections committee
- Ballots will remain unchanged
- All candidates must submit in writing to Florence (NHFT office) by Friday, 12/6/2019 if they intend to run
- The election will be run the same
- Candidates meeting will be held at the union office on Tuesday 12/10 at 4:00pm
- The election is tentatively scheduled for mid-January.
1V. Committee Reports
- Finance: There are no requests at this point. Only two thank you cards from Pat and his wife and the food bank.
- Treasurer: In good standing. All obligations are satisfied. Finances in good shape.
- Security: Staffing is down and behavior is on the rise in buildings. The security department is looking to hire 11 new security guards. It is also being explored to have “as needed officers” available.
- Grievance: There is one current grievance that was filed independently through a teacher. There is no union affiliation with this at this time.
- School Reform: Nothing to report at this time
- PreK-12 Report:
- Air Quality: There is an air quality program called the “Tools for Schools” program. This program is free and is run by the state. New Haven has not taken advantage of this program.
- School Safety: Other programs were looked at to see how they address violence in schools. Meriden has positions in schools to address behavior concerns, ie: behavior interventionists, trained security personnel, climate specialists. Hartford has behavior specialists and specific ISS personnel; Farmington has an on call crisis team that provides supplies and supports to schools.
V1. New Business
- Suggestion for the Executive Board to begin using the “No Fault Problem Solving” format used in NHPS’s SSST, SPMT and restorative circles. This will be tabled for discussion for next meeting.
- Wilbur Cross teachers are working to solve an issue regarding a failing grade policy. Pat and Dave met with approximately 40 teachers at Wilbur Cross to discuss concerns and answer questions. The consensus of the group was to have the 3 building stewards meet with the principal and teachers.
- Discussion of the need for the union to heal and move forward.
- Discussion of election issue in the 250 page AFT investigative document and findings concerning the NHFT election and 120 page AFT-CT report of financial expenditures, policies, etc. Discussion among several members in regards to the election re-run, finances, policies and procedures, etc.
- Discussion of the by-laws and questions about intent and meaning of specific passages related to finance and budget.
- Several members stated that moving forward policies need to be updated and be more in line with the current membership vs. past practice
- David Cicarella adjourned the meeting at 5:32pm
Meeting minutes submitted by: Jennifer Chisholm, NHFT Executive Secretary