Present – J. CHISOLM, T. CRISCUOLO, P. DELUCIA, I. FESTA, P. DELUCIA, D. CICARELLA, J. GONZALEZ, O HERNANDEZ, J. LEACH, D. LOW, M. MALONEY, M. MAZZACANE, E. MCDANIEL-EPPS, D. ORTIZ, T. PAIGE-HARRIS, M. PANTALEO, R. POMPANO, M. SOARES, J. STEELE, K. STEELE-DISTANTE, R. THOMAS, J. WELLS-JACKSON, K. WETMORE, J. P. WILSON
- Call to order
- David Cicarella called to order the regular meeting of the Executive Board at 3:54 pm
- Motion to accept minutes from December 3rd , 2019
- 1 abstention
- Meeting minutes accepted
111. Review of Protocol for meeting and agenda items
- Updates on committee reports
- Old Business
- New Business
- Questions will be taken from Executive Board members at the end of the reports in the order of the request from Executive Board members. A queue is established for questions, comments, and input and continues until all Exec Bd members have completed their inquiries.
1V. Committee Reports
- Finance: One request for 200.00 to the Wilbur Cross HS day care center, a resource used by students with children. Motion passed with one no vote.
- Rachele Thomas, an executive board member and teacher at Hillhouse High School will be honored at an event by the West Haven Black Coalition. The request for donation was 150.00 for a full page ad to recognize our colleague. Vote was unanimous on this motion.
- Treasurer: It was requested that the End of the Year report be tabled until the February meeting since the December statements have yet to be reviewed. With this format, as in the past, the EOY budget can be reviewed along with the upcoming year proposed budget during the February meeting. Unanimous agreement to the motion.
- Grievance: There is currently 3 items pending.
- A grievance has been filed b/c Co-op HS does not have an SPMT which is required per the NHFT contract.
- Teachers are not to do diaper changing per our contract. Follow up with the labor board will be done on this issue.
- MOA: 3 new late hire teachers had their salaries unintentionally impacted by the new salary schedule of the 2018-2021 contract. Agreement will make the teachers “whole”.
- School Reform: Nothing to report at this time
- PreK-12 Report:
- AFT invited Dr. Miguel Cardona to meet with the AFT-CT council and would like teachers to attend this event. Teacher’s attendance will not only show support, but allow teachers the opportunity to voice their opinions, wants, and needs. The event takes place at 5:30 pm in Rocky Hill. Interested teachers should contact Marianne.
- Teachers Retirement Board will be sending statements via email. All teachers should receive an email and should look out for this. A preliminary email has already been sent out regarding this issue.
- Security: Nothing to report. No monthly meeting in January.
V1. Old Business
- Fidelity and Vanguard have been proposed as investment options and the process has been moving slow. The attempts made to move forward with this have been postponed or prolonged. Attempts are still being made to move forward with these groups.
- There was a question about AXA and their December statements. December withdrawals were taken, but no money was invested as it appears on statement. Members are encouraged to look at their statements and contact Pat Delucia if concerns are noticed.
- Wilbur Cross teachers are working to solve an issue regarding student grade policy. A proposal was submitted by a committee of teachers to the principal for review.
V1. New Business
- Election Committee Report and Proposals for Upcoming Re-Run election:
MK Elections to conduct the elections.
Ballots will be mailed out on 1/31/2020.
The count will take place on 2/27/2020.
The ballots will be updated to reflect the current candidates. All candidates confirmed as to their status i.e. their intention to participate in the re-run election or withdraw.
Candidates will (per AFT) have the opportunity to submit a 250-word bio and photo for all members to review.
- It is the recommendation of AFT that this election be run as closely to form as the past election.
- A motion was made to accept the proposals made by the Election Committee. There were 8 in favor of this motion and 9 who opposed it and wanted to vote on each recommendation individually.
- A motion was made to vote on each proposal individually and was passed.
- MK Elections to conduct the elections: Passed unanimously
Ballots mailed on 1/31/2020 passed with 1 opposition
The count to take place on 2/27/2020 passed unanimously
The ballot to be updated to reflect new candidates passed unanimously
250 word bio and photo to be posted on our 933 website passed unanimously.
- David Cicarella adjourned the meeting at 5:08pm
Meeting minutes submitted by: Jennifer Chisholm