NHFT Executive Board Meeting Minutes
JANUARY 8, 2019
PRESENT – J. CHISOLM, T. CRISCUOLO, P. DELUCIA, I. FESTA, J. GONZALEZ, A. HAYES-NEWTON, O. HERNANDEZ, J. LEACH, D. LOW, M. MALONEY, M. MAZZACANE, D. ORTIZ, T, PAIGE-HARRIS, M. PANTALEO, R. POMPANO, J. ROTH, M. SOARES, J. STEELE, K. STEELE-DISTANTE,K V. SULLO, R. THOMAS, K. WETMORE, J.P. WILSON, A. DUSA, M. PAVANO
- Call to order
- David Cicarella called to order the regular meeting of the Executive Board at 3:50 pm
11. Motion to accept minutes from December 4th, 2018
- Meeting minutes accepted
111. Dr. Birks presented to the Board (Asst. Superintendent Dr. Paul Whyte also attended and spoke to a few items)
Priorities for the district discussed
- Academic achievement
- Talent Development and Management
- Organizational Efficiencies and Effectiveness
- Family and Community Empowerment
a. Children First, Continuous Learning- the well being and continuous learning for every child
b. One New Haven- dedicated community partners, parents, students and staff united as One New Haven
c. Reimagining- Four levels of change- collaboration, capacity, building, deepening knowledge and focusing to improve outcomes for all
d. Equity, Excellence, and Emotional Intelligence- equitable access to a quality education
- Decreased suspension rates
- Teacher of the Year
- Sports team championships
- College/Ivy League acceptances
- Difficult fiscal year
Open question and answer period throughout the 50 minute session between various Executive Board members and Dr. Birks.
1V. Committee Reports
- Tabled until next meeting
- Committees are available for sign up: Grievance, Legislative, Education, Labor, Publications and Finance. Any member can sign up; however the committee must be chaired by an Executive Board member per our by-laws.
- Budget: End of the year report and budget for the new year will be tabled for next meeting
V. New Business
- Reductions need to be made to the union budget for 2019 because of decreased dues collection. Stipends have been reduced; travel expenses lowered, and the position of Grievance Chairman and Pre K-12 position were proposed for elimination as a cost saving measure and accepted by the Executive Board. Grievance Chair work will be absorbed by Dave (and Pat). Pat will serve as Pre K12 representative at AFT-CT. Although these requires additional duties for both the President and Vice-President they have recommended they take on these roles to continue providing necessary services to members while reducing costs to the union.
- Election concern: Our Bi-Laws state only one Special Educator can hold the Executive Board position of Special Services; we had two Special Educators voted into this position. The ballot did not stipulate this for members at the time of voting. Our AFT attorney was consulted and the suggestion made was to keep both parties that were voted in by membership and to add a third candidate with the next highest amount of votes that held a position that was not special education. The Board voted and unanimous decision was made that the board would follow the attorney’s suggestion and include the extra member for this term only. All parties in this position will receive the stipend and voting rights.
- Executive Board Protocols: We do not vote until the Board reaches consensus to ensure all members are in agreement with the outcome. As a member of the Board we must maintain professionalism and ensure the accuracy of what we share with membership.
- During next meeting we will be reviewing this past election and amending the process to ensure our election and ballot adheres to the bylaw provisions.
- David Cicarella adjourned the meeting at 5:20pm.