March 5, 2019
Present: R. AUGUSTINE, D. CICARELLA, P. DELUCIA, J. CHISOLM, J. GONZALEZ, D. LOW, M. MALONEY, M. MAZZACANE, E. MCDANIEL-EPPS, D. ORTIZ, T. PAIGE-HARRIS, M. PANTALEO, R. POMPANO, J. ROTH, M. SOARES, J. STEELE, K. STEELE-DISTANTE, V. SULLO, R. THOMAS, K. WETMORE
- Call to order
- David Cicarella called to order the regular meeting of the Executive Board at 3:50 pm
11. Motion to accept minutes from February 8th, 2018
- Meeting minutes accepted
111. Dr. Birks
- District Priorities: Academic Achievement, Talent Management and Development, Organizational Efficiencies and Effectiveness, Culture and Climate and Youth Family and Community Engagement
- Fiscal report discussed
- 2019-2020 proposed deficit of 30,682,723
- Goals: balanced budget, providing equity across schools, classroom support, support of instruction and a comprehensive core classroom and support of the whole child.
1V. Committee Reports
- Finance: Pat will report on this next week.
*Fund our future- nationally coordinated campaign to restore public school funding
*Regional Legislative Breakfast- Saturday March 23rd (9-11)- Eli’s on the Hill; 624 W Main St., Branford.
* STRB- Change in Voluntary Account- no longer available (illegal)
* AFT Summer Education Academy- July 17-24- Maritime Conf Center, Linthicum Hts,
*Md- Training teachers to train teachers
*See- Summer Educator Academy eLearning community
- AFT National continues to oppose proposals to arm teachers
- CURRENTLY PROPOSED LEGISLATION:
*HB7110: Enhanced Classroom Safety and School Climate
*HB5009: Including Afr/Am & Puerto Rican Studies in Public School Curriculum
*SB929: Shortening the Duration of DCF Investigations of Teachers
* Many others which can be found on the AFT CT website
- Security: No report given
V. New Business
- Election Committee decision: The Elections Committee has unanimously voted to deny the request of candidate Tom Buns and not grant his request for the election to be re-run. All 5
- Ray Pompano and Pat DeLucia will convey new retirement buy-out proposal they have developed at the next meeting
- Senate Bill 7110 proposed. This bill will protect teachers against disruptive and violent students. Clear measures with strong language will be defined.
- Sexual Harassment Training: Building Leaders decide when teachers will complete it ie: staff meeting, prep time (time spent must not violate contract).
V1. Old Business
- Committee sign ups look good. One of the best turn outs of commitment to date. Some individuals have been shifted to different committees in order to balance out numbers.
- Steward’s attendance policy to be reviewed at the next Executive Board and stewards meetings. Policy to be looked at to encourage better attendance at meetings.
- Bi-law revision- a committee will be set for this. This will be discussed at the next Executive Board meeting.
- David Cicarella adjourned the meeting at 5:20pm