PRESENT – R. AUGUSTINE, J. CHISOLM, T. CRISCUOLO, P. DELUCIA, D. CICARELLA, A. DUSA, J. GONZALEZ, O. HERNANZEZ, J. LEACH, M. MALONEY, M. MAZZACANE, E. MCDANIEL-EPPS, D. ORTIZ, T. HARRIS, M. PANTALEO, R. POMPANO, J.ROTH, M. SOARES, K. STEELE, V. SULLO, R. THOMAS, K. WETMORE
- Call to order
- David Cicarella called to order the regular meeting of the Executive Board at 3:57 pm
- Motion to accept minutes from April 2nd, 2019
- Meeting minutes accepted
111. Committee Reports
- Finance: One request for 500.00 to the Food Bank. This agency helps to service the students of New Haven. The request was granted unanimously.
- PreK-12: Legislative proposals: Computer programming will be required for all teachers at the K-12 levels. Portfolio being required for students looking to get a teaching undergraduate degree, along the lines of the BEST/TEAM framework; they will have to pay for this and it will be more about the “portfolio” than the teaching.
- Treasury: Nothing major to report. Per capita payment made. All accounts up to date.
- Security: Pete Wilson was out and no report was given.
- Grievance: ESUMS teacher suspension was reduced from 5 days to 2. Case at Brennan Rogers looking to reduce suspension. Hillhouse teacher’s case is going to arbitration, possible date of September.
- School Reform: Strategic planning committee. This committee consists of Board of Ed members, teachers, community members, parents, administrators, senior central office staff, and Dr. Birks. Two meetings have been held thus far. This group will oversee the surveys for the district and the evaluations. Looking to unify these areas so that they are in line with each other.
V. Old Business
- Calendars: Will be ready this week
- All committees formed with chair. Committees should meet before end of the year. Email is an appropriate means to share information and meet. Should be some face to face meeting times also.
V1. New Business
- AFT convention May 18th.
- Graduation: Each school will decide their own graduation date. Either June 14 or June 18.
- Covering classes: Teachers can be asked to cover classes, however if this is asked of a teacher on a repeated basis for lengthy periods of time teachers should report this to their union steward.
- Scholarships: New Haven Scholarships were sent out to High Schools in search for qualified candidates.
- 6 openings for administrator positions, possibly one more. Looking for representatives from Executive Board and teachers to sit on interview
- Attendance Ceremony: Event to be held prior to the 2nd Board Meeting in May. Teachers will be awarded certificates for Excellent Attendance. (2 days or less absent)
- Retirement workshops: May 30th both medical and payroll concerns will be discussed at this workshop.
- Autism coverage: NHFT has secured a unilateral agreement whereby the City of New Haven coverage will mathch what the Stae of CT offers.
- Buy Out: Submitted for review, still in the proposal phase. The board makes the final decision.
- Reports of Violence within the district: It was proposed that staff receive data reports on violence within the schools. Weapons brought in, violent acts and consequences administered based on the offence. This will be brought to the attention of P. Wilson (security committee representative for the NHFT) to see if this is a report that can be generated from the security department.
- Staffing Committee Meeting: Each school was asked to look at their schools and make decision on where staffing changes and cuts could be made.
- David Cicarella adjourned the meeting at 5:27pm