Present: R. AUGUSTINE, T. CRISCUOLO, P. DELUCIA, D. CICARELLA, A. DUSA, I. FESTA, J. GONZALEZ, O. HERNANDEZ, J. LEACH, M. MALONEY, M. MAZZACANE, E. MCDANIEL-EPPS, D. ORTIZ, T. PAIGE-HARRIS, M. PANTALEO, J. ROTH, M. SOARES, J. STEELE, K. STEELE, R. THOMAS, K. WETMORE, J.P. WILSON
- Call to order
- David Cicarella called to order the regular meeting of the Executive Board at 3:10 pm
- Motion to accept minutes from June 4th, 2019
- Meeting minutes accepted
111. Committee Reports
- Finance: A donation was made for the NHPS back to school rally and lunch was provided for the New Teachers training
- Treasurer: In good shape for September, waiting on checks to come in. Money paid to AFT is percentage based on payments made by members that NHFT currently has.
- PreK-12: There is a vacancy in this position currently
- Security: All badges should be returned by this week. Problems with badges should be reported to Evelyn Merzon. If a badge is lost the cost to replace it is 35.00
- Grievance: 3 cases pending. Anything that is a violation of the contract can be grieved.
- School Reform: Nothing to report at this time
V. New Business
- LGBTQ: Culture Trainings will be offered in the near future to all schools and staff.
- AFT has recommended that a concern raised regarding the status and stipend of a building steward be paid the stipend for being the union steward. The board agreed with AFT in a unanimous vote to pay the stipend.
- The union election is still on hold pending the Department of Labor’s decision which is set to be determined on September 13th. AFT-National has already rendered a decision and distributed it to all NHFT members.
- Steward’s elections must happen by the end of September; all current stewards must run these elections. The election needs to be run with integrity and transparency.
- Class size issues: 5 schools have reported overages in their classrooms and the union is working with downtown to rectify these issues.
- Lunch duty: If you are doing lunch duty and you are getting a lunch and a prep this is not a breach of the union contract
- New Teacher orientation is looking to be held at Goodfellas or Amarantes on either October 10th or 17th.
- The auto allowance was discussed. It was suggested that this be looked in the future as far as possibly adapting the wording of the stipend.
- 504 and IEP plans must be followed by all staff and teachers. However, if a plan is not followed a teacher/staff member cannot be sued personally, but may lose their certification and/or face other ramifications.
- There was a typo on the calendar. November 13th parent conference is supposed to be an early dismissal for student’s day. This will be looked into to determine if the calendar will be changed or the day will remain a full day.
- There are two current available positions, an editor for the Advance and a person to monitor and run both Facebook, Twitter, and all social media for the NHFT. Mark Solli was recommended for the editor position and Jim Carlson was recommended as the social media representative. This will represent another reduction in the total stipends amount. The Executive Board voted unanimously to accept these recommendations and offer the positions to both Mark and Jim.
V1. Old Business
- Verification that the data is posted on the NHPS website from the most recent teacher survey taken in the spring
- David Cicarella adjourned the meeting at 4:27pm
Meeting minutes submitted by: Jennifer Chisholm