May 2, 2017
Present – R. AUGUSTINE, J. CHISOLM, P. DELUCIA, A.DUSA, I FESTA, D. LOW, M MALONEY, E. EPPS, M. MCNERNEY, S. MIKOLIKE, D. ORTZ, M. PANTALEO, D. CICARELLA, T.BURNS, M. SOLLI, D. STEPHENSON, P. STRICKER, J. WELLS-JACKSON, K. WETMORE, J. WILSON
Call to order 3:50 pm
Motion to accept the minutes from April – 2nd and passed
Updates – We continue to pray for Darlene Ortiz as she recovers from serious health issues. She continues to improve daily and our thoughts are with her and her family.
Moment of silence for Todney Harris who lost his mother this week. Our prayers are with him and his family.
Committee Reports –
· Finance – P. Delucia – Sound School Robotics $500 approved
· Treasurer – M. Pantaleo – Monthly statements are in committee folders for review
· Grievance – T. Burns – Disciplined teacher reduced from 3 days to 2, sick pay issue amicably resolved, some issues with medical opt-out forms. Tom will follow up with city.
· School Reform – D. Low – Mike Crocco will follow up with meeting date. Focus on closing out TIF Grant.
· Security – J.P. Wilson – Some schools do not have ID cards or readers. Please let Peter or Marianne know as soon as possible. Increase in weapons and sexual assaults being reported. Security officers are being trained to investigate issues. Still no update code of conduct. Standard operating procedure manual is being brought to the BOE for review
New Business – AFT convention is Sat. May 13th at Aqua Turf. Union will send 7 delegates. New teacher orientation is scheduled for August 15, 16, 17, 18. Motion made to request it be reduced to two days. 2nd and passed.
New Haven Labor History – union archives have been cataloged and preserved and are being stored at UCONN.
Dave will follow up on CCER’s negative response to union win at the State Board of Education via PEAC on prohibiting SBA from being used in teacher evaluations.
Community actions – S. Mikolike & D. Stephenson – In the process of identifying pictures and stories for billboard and bus campaign. They will follow up with new timeline. Looking for positive teachable moments and achievements. State slogan “Public School Proud”
Remember the hunger strike is still going on at Yale as local 33 tries to negotiate with management.
April 12th – Pre-K Conference – Legislators were asked to take 5th grade SBAC test. Results were eye opening.
Motion to adjourn – 4:55 pm