Present – R. AUGUSTINE, D. CICARELLA, P. DELUCIA, M. PANTALEO, V. SULLO, A. DUSA, J. GONZALEZ, O. HERNANDEZ, J. LEACH, M MALONEY, M MAZZACANE, E. MCDANIEL-EPPS, D. ORTIZ, T. PAIGE-HARRIS, R. POMPANO, J. ROTH, M. SOARES, J. STEELE, R.THOMAS, K. WETMORE, P. WILSON, J. WELLS-JACKSON, R. CRISCUOLO, M. GALLAGHER, D. WEINREB, E. MCLEARSE
- Call to order
- David Cicarella called to order the regular meeting of the Executive Board at 3:45 pm
- Dave introduced Attorney David Strom, Head Legal Counsel from AFT-National, and Attorney Eric Chester from Ferguson, Doyle, and Chester,P.C. from AFT-CT who represents all locals within AFT-CT.
- Motion to accept minutes from October 1st, 2019
- Meeting minutes accepted
111. Old Business
- Filling of Executive Board Vacancy- recommendation by Dave: Jennifer Wells Jackson. Unanimous decision to approve Jennifer Wells Jackson to the Executive Board
- LBGTQ Presentation: Ebony McClease and David Weinreb of the LBGTQ Youth Task Force in New Haven are offering trainings to teachers and staff of NHPS. The NHFT will offer support for trainings to be offered. (use of building for meetings, snacks and beverages etc) Pat DeLucia will be the contact for these trainings.
1V. Election Committee Approval: Per the NHFT by-laws 5 members are appointed by the president to become the Election Committee for the upcoming re-run election. The appointees: Jennifer Ortiz, Ray Criscuolo, Stephanie White, Anthony Sacco, and Breanna Evans. The Executive Board unanimously approved the 5 members to be the Election Committee for the upcoming re-run election.
V. Committee Reports
- Finance: Donation made to Lee HS Hall of Fame book shared for view.
A $200.00 request was submitted for the Wilbur Cross Golf team to attend a trip to Florida. Request approved by unanimous decision.
United Labor Agency requested a $200.00 donation for their Toys for Tots drive. Request approved by unanimous decision.
CT Food Bank requested of a $500.00 donation. There was a motion to change donation amount to $600.00 to the Food Bank. A $600.00 donation unanimously approved to the CT Food Bank.
- Treasurer: Finances in good standing. All obligations are satisfied. Adjustments have been made to save costs. (eliminating stipended positions with work to be assumed by Dave and VP Pat DeLucia,etc) Chief steward Marianne Maloney has done an amazing job of leading the stewards in getting new teacher’s membership cards and new members signed up. Coordination with the office staff has been excellent to assure teachers requesting NHFT membership are promptly added to the NHFT.
- Security: There are some buildings that do not have access and these buildings are on hold until the Board of Education settles debts owed to the contractors. Concern raised over whose responsibility is it to patrol the school parking lots.
- Grievance: All grievances are settled. None of the over-enrollments are going to grievance and those teachers with over enrollments are being compensated per their acceptance to the compensation.
- School Reform: Nothing to report at this time
V1. New Business
- Pat reported that a mistake was made in assigning teachers to the Ad Hoc and standing committees. Policy reviewed, moving forward the policy to be followed is that all appointments must be made by the president and then approved by the Executive Board. This is with accordance to the by-laws.
- Distribution of proprietary information policy reviewed. David Strom, Head Legal Counsel of AFT-National, stated all proprietary documents must be managed within the building and should not leave the union building. The long standing protocol is for a member with questions or simply desiring to see the financial records of the NHFT will make an appointment with the president and the treasurer to view the financials of the union; however no copies should be made or shared. If there are any questions, the member can then meet with the finance committee. Any further questions or concerns not addressed can be brought to the Executive Board. The treasurer made copies of American Express documents for a member and these documents did leave the union office. The policy was re-stated and a motion was made to keep all financials in the building and a unanimous decision to approve this motion.
- The union by-laws are available on the website and can also be requested from Florence or Dave.
- Special Education MOU class size designation. Marianne and Jane Roth are collecting data on 10-15 schools to assess need for cap on class size and case load for teachers. It is also on the radar to look at case load cap on support services staff members as well.
- New Teacher Orientation cancelled due to low number of sign ups. A new event is being scheduled combining the HSA medical informational session for veteran and new teachers and the new teacher orientation. Date and location TBD.
- Pre-K Focus Group CEA/AFT being held on December 17th from 3:45-4:45. If interested contact Pat DeLucia.
- Review of policy on “Student Parking” and covering classes. If a teacher is out and there is no substitute available for that class, students can be divided up and placed into classes of their same grade level up to the contractual size limit. Students cannot be placed in grade level classrooms different from their own; this is considered “student parking”. A teacher can be asked to cover a class if they have additional unassigned time beyond their prep period and lunch. If a teacher misses a prep it should be made up during that week or within a reasonable time frame.
- It was suggested that union membership be done with a google form vs. clip board sign up. Suggestion made to look into AFT tools where they offer more secured efficient ways to conduct membership signups.
- Election will be re-run due to small sub chapter of nurses not included in voting pool (past practice has never included this group). AFT ruled this as a breach and recommended the election be re-run. A question was raised as to why the whole membership needed to vote again and not just the sub-chapter; this however is not the ruling of AFT. No nominations can be added to any offices for this re-run election.
- Questions were raised about the extortion charges that led to the disqualification of Tom Burns to participate in the re-run election. DavidStrom, Dave Cicarella, Pat DeLucia, and Eric Chester all responded.
- David Cicarella adjourned the meeting at 5:17pm
Meeting minutes submitted by: Jennifer Chisholm