October 4, 2017
Present – T. BURNS, J. CHISHOLM, P DELUCIA, A. DUSA, I. FESTA, A. NEWTON, D. LOW, M. MALONEY, E. MCDANIEL EPPS, M. MCNERNEY, S. MIKOLIKE, D. ORTIZ, M. PANTALEO, R. POMPANO, J. STEELE, D. STEPHENSON, J. WELLS-JACKSON, K. WETMORE, J. P. WILSON, D. CICARELLA
Call to order – 3:50
Motion to accept the minutes from September – 2nd and passed. (1) Abstain
Committee Reports –
1. Finance – P. Delucia – Requests from W. Cross Golf $300and Food Bank $200 both passed. Thank you note from Junta Inc for our donation.
2. Treasurer – M. Pantaleo – Statements are in Finance Committee folders for review.
3. Grievance – T. Burns – Year old issue at Cross has been settled. Member has one day’s pay restored. Most over enrollment /class size issues have been resolved. Truman has 1 overage as does Hill Central. Clinton Ave – Commissioner Network School will resolve class size issues through attrition K-4 /21 per class . Grades 5-8 / 23 per class.
4. Security – J. P. Wilson – Reports of inappropriate contact and language by teachers
· Possible training of teachers K-8 on de-escalation
· Discussion on procedures for doors being locked
· Securing buildings when all students are in
· Currently no K-8 reps ON security committee. They are looking to add a representative from a K-8 building.
5. School Reform – Report from D. Low: Joint memo from Michael Crocco and Dave Cicarella on TEVAL sent to all teachers and administrators.
New Business – Merriellen Berrios-Gunn will be unable to serve out her term. The NHFT would like to thank her for her time and dedication. She will be missed and we wish her well.
Dave reported on his trip to Washington DC. He serves on the Planning and Policy Council. (PPC)At AFT-National. He is watching closely the Supreme Court vote on the Janus Case. It will impact unions – more to follow.
Review of steward issue at one school. Dave, Tom and Marianne will meet with that steward to review protocol and procedures.
Old Business – Negotiations – Tom Burns – Hard to negotiate this time without the state budget in place. Meetings to date with the city have been collaborative and productive. Mediation will begin on October 10th. The committee is working to have a vote before the end of October. More to follow.